We offer a range of opportunities for worship, large and small, quiet and musical, formal and informal, traditional and modern to suit a variety of ages and preferences. The normal pattern is set out below, but please view our calendar to check out what is happening as things can vary. Most of our services are followed by refreshments, so do stay awhile and get talking to others.
During this period of COVID please see the banner on the top of the home page for changes and updates to services.
- Sundays – 11am Morning Service (Modern language)
This is our main Sunday morning service.
On most Sundays the service includes Holy Communion, as well as readings, sermon, prayers and hymns. On the first and third Sundays of each month, the choir leads us in a more formal celebration where we sing parts of the service to a setting. On the fourth Sunday Communion is celebrated in a more informal style and with a more modern choice of songs.
On the second Sunday of the month there is an all-age service, with the uniformed organisations’ church parade. This service does not include Holy Communion. Every Sunday the side chapel is turned into a creche where parents are invited to take young children if they would like – for as much or little of the service as appropriate; it is still possible to listen to what’s going on through the speakers.
On Sundays in term time, other than the second Sunday of the month, children aged 3 and over are welcome to Sunday School.
- Sundays – 8am Holy Communion (Traditional language)
Every Sunday (almost but check calendar) begins with a said service of Holy Communion at 8am, lasting around 45 minutes.
- Second Sundays – 4pm or 6:30pm Sung Evensong (Traditional language)
An opportunity to worship through the time-honoured words of the Book of Common Prayer evening service, with its psalms, readings and canticles, together with hymns, a choir anthem and a short sermon.
- Sunday night Takeaway Service – An informal worship service specially designed for teens and young adults. This is a new service which will take place monthly on a Sunday evening once a month. It features contemporary worship, lead by a band; there will be prayers and a short talk. Afterwards there will be drinks and pizza.
- Wednesday – 10am Holy Communion (Traditional language)
A said service lasting around 45 minutes. This service enjoys a larger congregation than you might expect – there are an average of forty adults here, and often one or two tiny tots as well. Once a month we are delighted to welcome one of the junior classes from All Saints’ School to this service and on these occasions the service is more informal and includes hymns.
- Wednesday – 2:oopm Tots Praise
On the first Wednesday of each month we have a service for babies, toddlers, young children and their parents/carers. It gives an opportutnity to meet other mums and dads and for the children to make new friends.
- Thursday – Purple Praise
This generally takes place once a month on a Thursday. It is short informal service particularly designed to support those with dementia and their carers; though everyone is welcome. The service os followed by refreshments and cakes.
- Friday – 6:00pm Friday praise (normally first and third Fridays in term time)
Friday Praise is a family-friendly informal time of worship at the start of the weekend, lasting around 40 minutes.
During the course of the year additional services are put one during the week – notably during Lent and Advent; so keep an eye on the calendar for these.
- We are part of a United Benefice with St James’ Altham, where there is normally a service each Sunday morning at 9:30am. Why not visit its website?